Welcome!

Hello! Welcome to my blog! It is a blog about astronomy, I hope you will enjoy my posts! And if you have any suggestions about my content or just want to chat with me, you can leave your words by comments or C-box down the right hand side!
Thanks for your coming~:)))))
Isabella

Saturday, January 10, 2009

International Year of Astronomy


picture source: http://www.astronomy2009.org/resources/branding/



Happy new year and happy astronomy!!



2009 is an important year for astronomy lover. It is because that 2009 is International Year of Astronomy!



The International Astronomy Union (IAU) launched 2009 as the International Year of Astronomy (IYA2009). And the theme is " The Universe, Yours to Discover ". The reason that set this year as IYA is because 2009 marks the 400th anniversary of the first astronomical observation through a telescope by Galileo Galilei. 2009 will be a global celebration of astronomy and its contributions to society and culture, with a strong emphasis on education, public engagement and the involvement of young people, with events at national, regional and global levels throughout the whole of 2009.

information source: http://www.astronomy2009.tw/en/intro.html





In Taiwan, we definitely have some celebration and activities. The main host of IYA will be Wei-Hsin Sun(孫維新), who is the Professor of Institute of Astrophysics of National Taiwan University.
He is enthusiastic at Astronomy and publish and translated many books about astronomy. I certainly have one, too. Everyone who has touched astronomy would know him. Because compare to other astronomy schloar he is the most active in Taiwan.


Details about Taiwan's IYA celebration and activities please check this website:
http://www.astronomy2009.tw/zh/activity.html


As an astronomy lover, I am really looking forward this year's activities!
How about you? :)


Oh and by the way, I am next president of our school's astronomy club, so I may take charge of southern Taiwan's IYA activities!

1 comment:

Ian said...

Congratulion on geeting the position ! I can foresee the future of you an that position and making great achievements. Through your post I notice about the Astronomical event in this year. It is very nice and clear of you to give us reasons and historical background on the event. It is also wonderful that you mention the event that is going to be held in our country Taiwan. I am really looking forward for all the events that is giong to take place in the whole world, I am also looking forward for your nrext post.